Youth Service Fund is unique to the United Methodist Church. Money from this fund is raised by youth, and given to youth to be used to help other youth. Each year, 70% of the money we raise stays in our conference. Most of that money is given away to youth groups who request help with their mission projects for the year. The other 30% is given to the United Methodist Division on Ministries with Young People which gives grants internationally to help youth.
YSF is much more than just a drive for funds. It is one way United Methodist youth respond to God’s command that we be good stewards of all with which God has gifted us. In addition to good stewardship, it is a way to engage in the mission of the Church, being in ministry to a broken world as we strive to live as disciples of Jesus Christ who are working to transform the world around us. You can contribute individually or through your church or district. Some youth groups tithe (10%) to YSF when they are fundraising for other causes, e.g. for a mission trip or Warmth In Winter.
Where do your contributions go?
For every dollar given:
- 46 2/3 cents goes to ministries which serve youth inside (1/2) and outside (1/2) the geographic bounds of the Tennessee Conference. These grants are awarded by the CCYM.
- 30 cents goes directly to the Youth Service Fund administered by the Division on Ministries with Young People, to support ministries around the world which serve the needs of youth and children.
- 23 1/3 cents stays with the Tennessee Conference Council on Youth Ministries to aid in funding the administration of YSF and other youth ministries of the CCYM. Events like Hands and Feet, mission projects at Warmth in Winter, and other ministries are supported by your contributions.
You Can Contribute Throughout the Year!
Checks should be made payable to Youth Service
Fund and mailed to:
Tennessee Conference UMC Youth Ministries
Attn: Youth Service Fund
304 S. Perimeter Park Dr.
Nashville, TN 37211
If your ministry/service organization benefits youth in the name of Jesus Christ and you would like to be considered for a YSF grant, applications are available through the Youth Ministries Office or can be downloaded HERE.
The application deadline is April 15, and grants are determined by the CCYM at its April meeting. Grant awardees are notified in May. The grant awards are paid at the time of notification.
Some of the terrific ministries previously supported by YSF grants are Hurricane Katrina Relief, Appalachian Service Project, Mountain TOP, Sager Brown, Magness Potter Center, Henderson Settlement, and Camp Lookout Junior High Mission Week.
For more information on YSF, click here.